Pages

Search blog and web

Multiculturalism and the future

This is a potentially flammable political topic, but one that creeps up from time to time amongst my mates. Hell sometimes at work we go on about it - even though we're all from different backgrounds.

I'm from Australia which seems to suffer similar problems to the U.S. in terms of multi-culturalism and integration. I've seen how people instead of embracing multi-culturalism form their own ethnic territories, speak their own language, etc etc. The benefits are great, the variety of cuisines, options for spiritual enlightenment, the experience of different cultures - everyone loves that.

But it has its price; ethnic groups have been known to discriminate racially especially with lodging and employment. I can confirm from experience as well Aussie employees may be laid off in favor of ethnic employees, while Aussies tend to believe in "a fair go". Entire towns are converted into racially distinct suburbs, there is no real integration to speak of.

I've also seen how deep the resentment truly is within the Aussie population who fear the dilution of their young culture. To most people, they never truly share their views - they would be fools to. They would be judged racists, a title no one wants to bear. Those who are openly racist tend to be beat down as immigrants are no longer a small minority but a vocal and potentially dangerous one. Hell some groups even operate the entire underground infrastructure of national cities. Not only that, but they give their own people a bad name, allowing the ethnic groups even more voice and power to cry "racist" at the Aussie population. The infamous "race card"... I'm assuming this is similar to the U.S.?

I found the Aussies are robbed of their voice, they suffer in silence. Some say it's karma due to having stolen this land in history and the genocides their forefathers imposed on the natives. My people in history were also imperialistic, we conquered half the known world during the 13th and 14th centuries, but we enforced a multi-cultural state, and never genocided, it was a state that suffered wars of succession due to its multi-culturalism that led to our eventual downfall. If we had genocided natives then maybe things would have been different (but we're barbarians, so we do no such thing)

But it is not THEIR crime, should all sons and daughters continue to suffer endlessly for the sins of their forefathers? I hate to say it but I relate as many to this day despise my people for how my forefathers buttraped them in history, it was almost a millenia ago! Yet they preach in their historical and religious doctrines how we are the devil, and along with religion even justified genocides (as was the case with the Pashtun genocide of the Hazaras in Afghanistan).

Having been born and raised in Australia I can't help but know and understand the culture, I can't help but find some of its core values more to my taste then the values of the fatherland. I can also say vice versa where values of my motherland are still superior. But if asked if the culture was under threat - I would admit that is... I find this debate quite interesting, especially when my own people are very nationalistic at present. I'm in an orthodox position; I can't obviously side with the Aussies, even if I understand and sometimes even share their views, and I can't obviously side with the ethnics, even if I look like them.

Anyways, enough of my views, share yours! :)




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment