Pages

Search blog and web

Long, complicated history with best friend

So, we've known each other for four years. There's never been any sort of major conflicts or fights between us for any reason. But there's some aspects to our history that still confuse me. When we met, there was an incredible, instant connection like neither of us have yet to experience again. We became best friends literally overnight. It was though we already knew a lot about each other. But I didn't particularly think she'd care to be anything other than the close friends we were from the start. About a month after we met, she actually asked me if I would be her boyfriend? I obliged, and was a bit surprised about her feelings. However, two weeks into it, she broke it off, without much explanation.

We didn't really talk for a few days, but soon we picked up the friendship as if those two weeks of being together never happened. Things carried on as before. We'd spend a lot of time talking like we had at the beginning of things, and any feelings she may have had were never brought up. But alas, about four months after she broke it off, she basically confessed that she knew she still had blatantly obvious feelings for me. However, when I made the attempt to propose the idea of us getting together again, she brushed the idea off, and gave me an explanation along the lines of "It's tough to talk about my feelings for you. I could date anyone else without any anxiety of screwing it up, but with you it's not like that. If I screwed our relationship up, I'd have a tough time living with myself. But I still need you around, no matter what. You mean too much." Obviously, I assumed at least part of that was simply an excuse at the time.
But, as time went on, mixed signals from her continued to make me scratch my head regularly. Even when she'd enter into relationships with other guys, she would still focus the majority of her time talking to me, even if it was through texts/social networks. The way she talks to me always has a flirtatious element to it, even now. She's essentially broken up with guys who had a problem with her best friend being a guy, saying "If someone has a problem with you being around, they're gone. No question."
And every time she goes through a breakup, we end up connecting very closely for a short time. But as soon as I start suggesting a relationship again, she'll force herself into one with another guy very quickly. But on the other side, her friends tell me she used to talk constantly about how much she liked me. And even her current boyfriend (who has no issues with me, actually) joked with me one night, saying "You're pretty much her savior. She spends more time talking about you than anything else."

So yeah, I'm beyond puzzled about this. I'm not too stressed about it. I'm content with us simply being platonic best friends, but her behaviors often lead me to believe she doesn't quite know where her head or heart are. Anyone have an opinion on the matter?




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629984

No comments:

Post a Comment