Pages

Search blog and web

Who's in the wrong here, me or my boyfriend?

  • Thread Starter

So my boyfriend quite evidently dislikes my parents for the following reasons.

We live in another country to my parents now, and my mother and brother came to stay a weekend with us last year when we lived in a smaller apartment. We had a pull-out bed in the living room so they slept on that. My boyfriend was completely opposed to the idea, and says that they were selfish for asking to stay, and that once they'd seen the size of our apartment, they should have immediately left and found a hotel. He says that the present they gave him was too small and inexpensive.

They also gave us several things for the flat, but he mocked them, and they took us out to a restaurant but he seems to forget that. He also says that they didn't thank him.
Apparently my parents haven't supported us enough financially. What I have told him several times is that my family gave me a few thousand pounds which was supposed to be used for rent, furniture etc. He claims I never told him this even though he was there in the room when my father and me were talking about it. Apparently this few thousand isn't enough. As I mentioned, they live in another country, so it's harder for them to help us other than giving money.

His family helped us with the moving etc. and bought us a new TV and several smaller items. I bought them a large gift in return. Everything else was bought with our own money. My parents have given us bed sheets etc. a tablet, and a blu ray player (but apparently this was 'only £50' from Tesco.
It's true that his family are extremely generous, but my family are always giving money and have helped a lot, and I think it's unfair of him to make such comments and compare the financial situations of our families.

He says we need a new sofa, and asks why my family didn't ask what we needed, and buy it for us. They did actually ask, but I would prefer to pay with my own money.
I think his family may be more well-off than mine. Both our fathers were made redundant (my father has a little bit of work but not much, and his receives unemployment benefit) but his mother is a dentist and mine is a teaching assistant.They live in an enormous luxurious house, but mine live in a small one and are looking to move to rent somewhere cheaper across town.

Basically, my family are coming here again soon and have asked to stay with us to save money. We've moved apartments and we now have a large living room. They've even offered to pay for an inflatable bed. They have told me they'll find a hotel otherwise and that it's no problem. Of course my boyfriend isn't happy and implies again that they are selfish, and makes comments about what present they'll buy him this time.
He's literally repeated the same stuff about 5 times during arguments. My parents have taken us to restaurants, have invited us to stay with them and offered to pay for hotels, they buy him presents, and they support me financially.

I am tired of him constantly criticising my parents. He also claims my Mum 'doesn't look at him, and 'doesn't have anything interesting to say'. It's true his parents are extremely generous, and judging from the amount of stuff he has, it's clear he was privilliged as a child.
Is it fair to compare parents like that? Are they wrong? How can I ever get him to like them? Sorry for the long post.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment