Pages

Search blog and web

Growing apart from best friend/flatmate

  • Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I've known my best friend since we both started uni in the same city 5 years ago. We've lived together for over 2 of the past 5 years. Over the last few months though, I feel that our lives are taking different directions. I recently started a PGCE so I'm very busy with that and have also made a load of great new teacher friends who are totally on my wavelength. He's doing well in his job, but his attitude towards life/money/relationships/what's important/politics has gradually become so different to mine (or maybe mine has become different to his? It's hard to say).

I also really don't like his new friends very much either. All they talk about is how wasted/high/both they got this time or that time, and then proceed to tell us all a story about something that happened when they were wasted which, as a rule, are always really boring stories. I'm not a party-pooping bore, but I like to think my friendships are not based on mind-altering substances. His seem to be.

We live together, just us two, and for the most part it's been fine. He gets a bit naggy occasionally but then I know I can be a little lazy when it comes to housework. But recently I just haven't enjoyed his company much, haven't enjoyed hearing what he's been up to, we haven't had any fun times together in ages etc etc. The problem is we've just signed another six month contract on our flat and now I think I want to move out and either live alone or with people who are more like the person I am now.

How do you "break up" from a friendship? How can I make the next six months survivable when he manages to irritate me on a daily basis?

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment