Pages

Search blog and web

I think I complain too much

I have social anxiety. I've noticed I have a tendency to be possibly, er, too personal in interaction. I'm quite open about all my problems on this forum really because I doubt anyone knows who I am, where I live and that. Not so in real life (although most of my good friends know such things as that I have been struggling with mental illness, my most recent relationship who wants to keep it on the DL, that I have some quite severe hang-ups about my manhood, etc.)

I hear quite often that big turn-offs are a) being whiny/complaining too much and b) being over-personal (which is basically too whiny)

This means I now find it pretty difficult to talk about my emotional issues in case somebody decides to label me as a 'beta phaggot' or some other dumb thing. The result is they're getting bottled up again.

But there's almost a double standard I don't understand. For example my colleague was pretty shattered after Leeds and just talking about that for the whole shift (Leeds and having to come back after it). Sometimes I'll admit to being extremely tired, it's one of the symptoms of anxiety and my Dyspraxia. I have fairly frequent depressive episodes where I lose the will to go to bed and end up working exhausted the rest of the day, I want to point out this is a problem quite often but don't want to be seen as whiny. Then another day I heard them say 'I'm not tired at all, me' and then laughter(sarcasm: the implication being stfu and 'man up', I guess, though they weren't talking to me). However I'm not going around treating every random stranger as my own personal therapist!


I'm not sure how to balance this. I don't like the idea of having to pretend that I'm always super-happy, always confident, no issues, handle stress with ease no matter what (like men seem to do or are told they have to by the media), never procrastinate etc,. I don't want to be a giant cloud of misery or afraid to go and talk to people of course, but I can't reasonably always be perfect, and I feel that's what I have to be to be.

Could people give any tips on how to improve my conversation again? It's really gone down the train after being in a bad place for a while.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment