Pages

Search blog and web

Does "Mr. Nice Guy Syndrome" happen with women?

HI;

I've been reading a few conversations here, in particular one that talked in more depth about the No More Mr. Nice guy book and related subjects.

I'm wondering if this same type of thing thing happens with women in a way and what you call it?

I tending to call it people pleasing that she does. I get the feeling that she at times (not necessarily even on purpose) hides her true feelings and just does what I want. She says what makes me happy makes her happy.

I'm not 100% convinced this is really viable life long -- I guess I feel like her just being happy because I'm happy may leave her one day feeling like she has neglected her own feelings.

Then I read stuff about the 180 and having men be more direct / confident in their actions and how important that is.

Without going into a really long story right now, I did feel like I was more controlling in the past (much of which happened after she was involved in what amounted to a massive violation of my trust)- which led to her feeling like she was walking on egg shells all the time. Well I ended up feeling the same way with her thinking she was going to blow up at any little thing I did or said, so it was a vicious circle.

We've made huge amounts of progress together and now we are to the point where we are communicating open and honestly about our real feelings with each other. It's been over a month since we have had any type of fight.

We've been together for almost all of the last 12 years (lived apart for about a month 9 years ago). We are not married but I would like us to be and she says she would also. The reason we are not married is complex and will take quite a bit to explain. I'm going to avoid going into it at the moment because I feel the first priority before we get to marriage is to make sure our relationship is as strong and healthy as it can be.

So now I'm quite careful to be extremely respectful of her feelings and I guess the approach I read about in some of the 180 stuff is kind of confusing because I think some of the more direct stuff could have the potential to make her feel like she isn't in control.

In general I feel like we are both quite comfortable now talking about anything with each other and have deep meaningful conversations virtually daily.

I'm not even sure exactly what I'd like to improve right at the moment. I guess my big question / concern comes down to the times that she says "I just want to do what makes you happy and I'll be happy"

Maybe that's true and she will be happy, it just concerns me a little bit that on some topics she doesn't seem to have any strong feelings about them that she can express and she just says the if your happy, I'm happy thing.

Thanks




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment