Pages

Search blog and web

Thoughts and Opinions on Physical Attractiveness and "The Gap"

I've been dating my girlfriend for close to a year now. We are very open with one another and communicate in a very productive and healthy manner.

An issue I've faced from the beginning and begun to question more and more as things have become more serious is what I've dubbed in many cases throughout my life as "the gap."
The gap is the perceived superficial divide (or gap) in physical appearance, when one person is, by societal standards, substantially more (or less) attractive than the other.

I feel as though if I thought of myself as less attractive I would see her as more of a catch, value her more etc. As it stands however, I'm acutely aware of the fact that, while I find her very attractive physically, I could be with someone I find more physically attractive.
It's hard for me to draw the line between commenting on her having something in her teeth (easily remedied) and her having unattractive fat on her neck that bothers me (much more difficult to fix). Obviously tact must be used in any conversation about looks but is it appropriate to comment on physical traits, some that can be fixed over time and some that may only ever change if plastic surgery is involved. Personally I feel bad talking about issues of weight etc. but I think they are appropriate to broach, I don't think it's appropriate to talk about facial structure, height etc. anything that cannot be changed by living more healthily.

I'm curious what other people's thoughts and philosophies are when it comes to dealing with this inevitable observation when it occurs. I know it's more important to see what's on the inside and I do, which is why we've dated as long as we have and why I like her as much as I do. I also know it's important to be physically attracted to your partner and I am. But when you look at your partner and see physical characteristics that you find relatively undesirable (broad shoulders, bit of a tummy, lacking in the trunk etc.) what do you do with those thoughts? Do you hope they get better over time, do you accept them as they are, do you put up with them, do you focus on something else instead? Can you develop a philosophy that allows you to see beauty in what you currently precieve as imperfection?




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629984

No comments:

Post a Comment