Pages

Search blog and web

Help - wife wants to leave country with child

My wife is from New Zealand and after five years of living in the United States, wants to leave me, and take our 16 month old daughter home with her to New Zealand.

Her gripes are that she does "everything", that I treat her like a "slave", and that I don't appreciate her. I acknowledge and admit that she does do more housework as she does all the cleaning and cooks dinner every night, but I do the grocery shopping, yardwork, garbage, 50% of the laundry, and spend lots of time with our daughter.

My wife has left for work by the time I get up and get our daughter's diaper changed, dressed, bottle, breakfast, and then take her to daycare on my way to work. I get home, look after my daughter for 30 mins while my wife cooks dinner, and then it's back and forth for the two hours before bed. I have no problem changing diapers, playing princesses, or singing out of tune nursery rhymes.

My daughter loves us both. She's happy to go back and forth between us and there is no clear favorite, not that that would necessarily matter. It breaks my heart to think that there's the slightest possibility that I would only see her once or twice a year. It's not fair to the child. Having come from a broken home, I don't realize how my wife can just give up on the family so easily.

I still love my wife but it doesn't seem like the feeling is mutual any longer. It would be much easier to separate without our daughter.

Any advice on how to try and make this work? I do my best to support my wife... and encourage her to visit home once a year, welcome her friends and family into our house for extended periods, drive the crappy car while my wife drives the new one, etc. I'm wondering how much more I can give, or if moving to New Zealand is the only solution to make her happy. I would consider it, but I'm not sure that it would make her happy for long.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629984

No comments:

Post a Comment