Pages

Search blog and web

How do I get over resenting my wife for this?

My wife and I had our first child a year ago.

Right around the time we decided to try to get pregnant, my wife also decided she wanted to enter a PhD program in a field that I would say does not have the strongest job prospects. I didn't really think this was a good decision at the time and I said so -- we were just starting out in life financially (I was just starting my career) and we were trying to have a baby as well. Adding on top of that a PhD program that would (1) cost us money (2) take a lot of her time and (3) might not even lead to a good job seemed like a mistake when we were also trying to have a baby.

Well, here we are with her almost two years into the program and a one-year-old, and she really likes the program and feels good about the direction it's taking her, but it's also taxing on our family in terms of her time and our money (although we are getting by and not going into major debt).

I want to be supportive of my wife moving into a new, hopefully better career, but I'm still feeling angry at the timing of the whole thing, and at her insistence on doing it even though I expressed strong reservations. I feel that she could have waited a few years to do it or picked a more financially feasible way of doing it. I don't feel like I can expect her to quit now, and I want to just let go and support her as much as possible, but this situation has continued to leave a bad taste in my mouth that I can't wash out.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment