Pages

Search blog and web

Pets and your spouse

This is silly in the grand scheme of things, but just curious how others think of this.

I am an animal lover. I would turn my house into a zoo if I could.

I lived on my own for a year right before H and I started dating. I acquired two cats during that time. I never went looking for them. Both of them were sad cases that I picked up off the street and took in. They are now 8 & 9 yrs old.

H is not an animal person. He just doesn't feel that way about pets and doesn't really understand the attraction. He's not mean to animals or anything, and he's been a very good sport about the two cats. He helps take care of them...feeds them and does the litter box and maybe once a week I catch him petting them. But if he sees me watching him be affectionate he will quickly stop and pretend it didnt happen. He still says that he prefers they weren't here. I think he sees them as a furry object and he has no emotion attached to them.

I took a great deal of time to train them both to behave. They dont claw up the furniture or do anything else that makes them a nuisance...except for sleeping on his legs at night which he hates.

Anyway...now that our kids are getting older I see them starting to share my love of animals. I volunteer occasionally at an animal shelter and we donate to it frequently. The kids come with me a few times a year to see the animals and see what we do. I also take them with me to pet expos and zoos and stuff just for fun. H comes to those with us but pretty much rolls his eyes at us the whole time and definitely doesnt want to touch any of the animals. We went to a reptile show recently and I was able to hold a boa constrictor and a pygmy iguana and so were the kids. They thought it was awesome. H thought we were insane.

I wanted to take home one of the snakes but knew it wasnt a good idea bc we weren't prepared for it.

I would really like to get another pet. We own a home and have the space for it.

A coworker had a cat show up on his doorstep and is trying to find a home for her. It's a sad story and pulls at my heart. I told H about it and asked if we could bring her home and he was angry that I even thought about it. He didnt even give me a chance to talk about it with him, just said no way! He never wants to get any more pets and knows that we've likely got another 10+ yrs (I hope) with the two we've got.

It kind of upset me to know that the option of ever bringing in another pet is completely off the table. At what point is it acceptable to ask the non - animal loving spouse to go outside their comfort zone? Or do you just drop it?

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment