Pages

Search blog and web

Why is being a lesbian so much more 'unusual' still than being a gay male?

I've known I'm a lesbian for years and years, but still feel like society isn't remotely used to seeing two feminine looking girls together. In fact if you saw two girls like this linking arms down the street the fact they may be a couple probably wouldn't cross many minds at all.

I feel like lots of gay men are breaking the 'camp' stereotype now so that people have a 'gaydar' on all the time for all kinds of men, but this doesn't seem to be the case at all with women. And I'm sure it can't be the case that every lesbian wants to be butch necessarily, I think many are just like me and feel too embarrassed/ashamed/alone to come out because society would find it shocking, quite frankly (and that includes my family and friends sadly).

I went on a date for the first time with a girl I met online this week and she was super pretty (just like an ordinary girl you'd pluck off the street), but we had 3 groups of student guys coming over to try chat us up throughout the evening. It kept ruining the moment, and pulling us both back into reality about how hard it is for lesbians like us (she feels the same as me in terms of feeling like it's a total rarity). I dunno, it just sucks!

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment