Pages

Search blog and web

What to do about friend

  • Thread Starter

My friend says he's a paedophile but would never act on those feelings. I believe him and genuinely 100% don't think he poses a threat to anyone. My problem is more selfish. Because I'm the only person who knows his 'secret', he talks about it a lot in quite some detail. I want to persuade him to talk to someone else so that the burden isn't placed solely on me. I realise how awful this sounds but it's very stressful. I have to balance my sympathy for him and his situation with the desire to protect my sanity. Problem is, he won't tell anyone other than me. I suggested he see a counsellor but he rejected the idea straight away. He says that a counsellor would have to break confidentiality and inform the police but I don't think that would happen unless anyone else was in danger. Can anyone clarify this? I just want him to have another person to talk to, preferably a psychiatric professional, rather than him being entirely reliant on my advice.

To make matters worse, my mother has noticed he's been seeming unhappy and keeps asking me whether he's OK. Of course I haven't said anything to her about it, but it's just added pressure.

I know he's in an awful situation and this post is all about my feelings but I needed to vent.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment