Pages

Search blog and web

Met The Right Guy At The Wrong Time - Help! :(

  • Thread Starter

My dad was out for dinner with a work colleague the other night, and he invited us (my mum and me, as I was visiting my parents for the weekend) along too.

To cut a long story short, I really fancy my dad's colleague (who's a couple of years older than me - I'm 20), whom I was talking to a lot. He came across as such a gentleman, was really nice and polite, and clearly hard-working too - he works on the same team as my dad. We share a lot of hobbies and interests. He was also really attractive, completely my type physically (though I mainly fancy him for his personality, as I've met quite a few other guys who are "my type" before). And he's foreign and from a country whose culture I'm tremendously interested in.

The problem is, however, I'm at an awful stage in my life right now in some ways. I'm going to start work in a new city (Liverpool) in a couple of months' time, after which I'll no longer be living and working in the same place as my parents. The reason I'm moving is that my parents and family generally (including extended family) treated me awfully when I was growing up - physical abuse, emotional abuse, I ended up going to the Social Services a few times but they never helped, I had to stay with close friends quite a bit too. They don't physically abuse me any more, but are still extremely emotionally abusive and controlling.

After secretly speaking to a therapist and getting some support and advice, I have decided to move in a few months and cut contact with my family completely after that. It's for my own good. They will never change and they are extremely toxic.

However, silly as it may seem in the circumstances, I can't stop thinking about my dad's work colleague, even though I only met him once. Guys like that seem rather rare nowadays (no offence to any guys reading this) and, especially with my loveless, emotionally starved upbringing, they're exactly what I need relationship wise. But he'll be working in the same office as my dad (though they won't exactly be best buddies, I can tell) and living in the same area as my family for the next few years. I could probably see him again the next time I'm at my dad's workplace, but it's just such a hopeless situation.

How do I forget about him? Please help :(

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment