Pages

Search blog and web

My positive experience of a Long Distance relationship

I'd just like to share my experience of my long distance relationship (LDR). I'm sure there are lots of people contemplating a LDR or who have just begun one. Many people may have told you it won't work- parhaps your parents, as my mum did, have said 'you're so young, you'll drift apart, meet someone else'. Perhaps you have read elsewhere on the internet that LDRs are too difficult and nobody ever survives them. While some of this may be true for some people, and some couples don't survive LDRs down to circumstance, I want to give you a different perspective on the whole thing.

When I first started my LDR I was only 17 and had just moved away from home for the first time. My boyfriend stays back in my hometown, 120 miles away. Ok, so it's not a huge distance, but it's still significant. I really got dropped in the deep end as everything in my life changed- i was in a relationship for the first time, in love for the first time, but we were long distance which i'd never experienced before. On top of that i'd moved away from my family and friends and into university halls with lots of people i never knew. So it was very difficult at first.

But anyway, we got through the hard bit. My boyfriend and I are very much in love and are still together almost a year later. On a couple of occasions, we almost broke up for good because it was so difficult, but we've come through it. The worst part is over- after a while (about 6 months) you get used to the distance and not seeing each other, you get used to the lonely nights and heartache. All that is replaced if you can find good friends and hobbies and make the most of being on your own, whilst still incoroprating your significant other in to your life. Long distance is possible if you truly love the person you are with. Not only that, but it is also incredibly rewarding. When you get to see your partner and run at them to hug them it is a beautiful moment. Don't mean to sound so soppy, but i am so lucky to be in a LDR, it makes you appreciate your partner and love them so much more than you realised was possible! if you are committed to each other, and really want it to happen, it is possible! Yes, sometimes they don't work out. But it is down to the couple to make it work. I now feel more positive and happy in a LDR than ever before.

Just thought i'd share, give some couples some hope that it is do-able. Sorry for the novel :)




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment