Pages

Search blog and web

I'm an alcoholic. Husband says he's done.

My husband and I have been together for about 6 years and married 3.5 of those. We have two children together ages 3 and 16 months. My drinking has become a real problem since our 16mo was born. My husband is in the Army and we made our first move a month before I was due. I don't know if it was the lack of support or isolation, but when my son was about a month old I started drinking after him and his brother would go to bed. At first it wasn't a big deal. My husband knew I was stressed and suffering from postpartum depression and he did what he could to help me with that. But then it just continued to get worse. Instead of hard cider or wine I was drinking vodka, then I switched to whiskey and I was drinking about 1/3 of a fifth a night. I have gone to a partial hospitalization program before (being in classes, therapy, group therapy for 7 hours a day and going home at night) and felt so accomplished when I finished, but it didn't take a month before I was back drinking. My husband and I separated a month ago and he stayed at home while the kids and I moved back to stay with my parents for the duration of it. I have an assessment to get into an inpatient rehab tomorrow and since I've been here I have been very serious about staying sober and my recovery but I have fallen off the wagon once. My husband told me last night that he is done. That he loves me but he doesn't want to live the rest of his life like we have lived this past year. I understand that, but I want to reconcile. I want to beat this and him see that I can do it and us stay together. Maybe that's a stretch. I don't know. I know how much he still loves me but everyone has their breaking point. First and foremost I want to get sober for me, but it is also for my family.

I guess I just want to ask. Other than rehab, therapy, and AA meetings what are some other steps that those who are married to alcoholics, recovering alcoholics, or divorced from alcoholics would like to see/have seen/or would have liked to see from your husband or wife to prove they are serious about recovery? I want to do all I can to get sober, stay sober, and prove to my husband I'm still the woman he fell in love with somewhere in there.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment