Pages

Search blog and web

Son's girlfriend gave him an ultimatum

I'm feeling bad for my S25 because his girlfriend of 4.5 years gave him an ultimatum: move back home or we're through. He graduated with a masters degree in a specialized field two years ago and found a job on the left coast right away. Girlfriend also has a decent job in a professional field and lives on the right coast.

My son can't replace his job easily. It's just not that common. His girlfriend's job is more of a commodity and her company is large enough that she could stay within it and probably find a position on the left coast. But she's adamant about staying near her family.

I suppose this is all pretty typical stuff to deal with at that age. What I'm afraid of is that he's a budding "nice guy". He might make decisions at least in part, to make her happy. I know from personal experience that this isn't a good thing.

So now she's holding his feet to the fire about moving back. Obviously, they are making their long distance relationship work to some degree, but I wonder how strong it can be since they only see each other three or four times a year?

They met in college and he hasn't had many girlfriends. She's his only LTR. I think he feels really conflicted about this. His job is great, he's rising in the company, he's respected, and he feels that it isn't a good time to jump ship.

I want to tell him that he has a right to his own plans and it might mean losing his GF. I also wonder about his nice guy tendencies!

I know less about how they communicate and how they handle conflict. From his reaction to her ultimatum I'm guessing that it doesn't happen that much. Also not a good thing.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment