Pages

Search blog and web

I don't feel like I can communicate freely with my wife

For example, this week at work has been quite stressful for me. There's a good chance I will have to work some this weekend to meet a deadline. I feel like I should be able to mention this, but if I do it will upset her and wreck the evening. I don't even want to mention how stressful it has been. If I do I will hear about how stressful it is to watch our kids and that I should feel lucky to get a break. Yes, I understand her days can be stressful too but I don't want to bring it up. She does not enjoy being a stay at home mom but does it because she doesn't want anyone else raising our young kids. So I'm holding the work situation in for now and hoping everything gets done tomorrow. Also for example, any mention of politics, religion, philosophy, and many areas of science are off-limits. I am very libertarian and free thinking, however she goes along with whatever is said by her parents or church friends (who all get their info from Facebook and Fox News ). Bringing up these topics ends with her thinking I am crazy and/or wrong. To be honest I think that about many of her opinions too but I don't say it. So, I don't talk about it because I don't want to feel unaccepted, and she doesn't talk about it because she would rather not know what I really think. I feel like there is a whole side to me that she knows nothing about (well really there is). We can generally communicate well on other things, even on other conflicts if it is something that can be resolved. Our conversations are typically just small talk though and never get that deep.

Anyone else been in this situation?

Edit: A third example. I have recently discovered Reddit and found it to be a good way to learn and have stimulating discussion on things that interest me. I'm not into the typical guy things like football so I find it hard to find people with mutual interests in real life. I have not told my wife about the website because I know it will be met with a "You're spending time talking to people you don't know on the internet? That's dumb. You should spend more time making real friends." Of course she has a list of guys for me to be friends with (husbands of her girlfriends) but I have nothing in common with them.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment