Pages

Search blog and web

Girlfriend's parents can't stand that i'm an atheist

We're both uni students and we've been with each other for a few months now. I'm an atheist and she's a christian (protestant). Between us, we're fine with it. I used to be a christian but changed my mind a few years ago. She was initially a bit worried about this possibly impacting our relationship but we've sorted it out and we're incredibly close, way closer than any other relationship I've ever had (including ones that lasted much longer than has been going for). I've never met anyone so right for me.

She's an extremely progressive christian - she actually disagrees with her parents on a lot of issues (e.g. gay marriage) and she argues that what's important in a relationship isn't necessarily religious views themselves but the values people have - and our values are very similar. She's more similar to me than her parents in that respect, yet I'm not right for her apparently. They're convinced this can't last and it's inevitable that she'll find there's always something missing. As an ex-christian I always felt my faith was an extremely personal thing anyway, so even from that standpoint I don't agree. Sigh.

She has a very close relationship with her parents which makes this very hard for her and she's cried about this countless times - she feels as if she has to choose between me and them. Yet she can't bear the thought of us not being together. We've said that we aren't going to let this go because of them but that still leaves her relationship with her parents deteriorating. They've said they'd still love her the same if she was with me but they would never be accepting of it and they would never be convinced it could work.

This leaves obvious issues for when I get to meet them (if they'll even want to) and seeing as we leave uni in a week or so I'm not sure how much I'll get to see her. And then for the future... it doesn't paint a particularly rosy picture, which is sad because without that the future with her looks really bright. I just don't know what to do about this because it sort of feels like our breakup is eventually inevitable as a result of this - when she's back at home and she's around them all the time things could just get worse and worse. But losing her would be the worst thing imaginable...

TSR, guide me :(

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment