Pages

Search blog and web

University and relationships

Hi there, I was just looking for some general advice on how I can see the potential positives of my situation over the negatives.

My girlfriend and I have spent 4 amazing months together, we quickly learned that we are incredibly similar in what we like and how we want our lives to progress. At first we always would mention all these things we can look forward to in the future and it made us both really happy. We have always said how good we can be as a couple in the future and how we want to make things work out.

We are at a point now where I am going to Uni next year, and she is going now (I am 23, she is 19). She may be only 19 but she is very intelligent and mature about things. So she has moved to London, 80mi away, and will hopefully return for Christmas etc, at home she is just down the road from me. I am studying in London 3 days a week for the next year so it all sounded like a good plan that would be not so hard. I will be moving to London next year and hoped we may be able to end up staying together.

I want her to succeed and do her very best, she says that she needs so much time for uni potentially until say Easter that she won't have enough time for herself, let alone me. I completely agree, as I will too be busy. So we mutually agreed that we need to step back and not have the pressure of being in a relationship until things have really calmed down and she has more time for us. She said that if she had time for a relationship she wouldn't want to spend it with anyone else. We know that this is the best thing to do, but its just so hard! As if we tried to stay together I think that we will end up resenting each other because as she says, it won't feel like a relationship.

I keep telling myself the positives that in the long run this could make us a really strong and happy couple and that time apart will make us stronger. I know this but it's so hard not to think so negatively about it because its obviously not a nice situation thinking I may not see her for months on end. I want to make sure she has time for everything now but I will try to see it as a dating period until next year, where I spontaneously see her when she has an eve free, say once a month. But she does not want anything to be planned which is why it seems best to not be in a relationship so to speak. We both agree that priorities need to be study, then work, the time for yourself and family and pretty much put each other at the bottom for now.

If anybody has any thoughts/advice I would really appreciate it as we do care a lot for each other and don't want to feel like we are throwing away a potentially amazing thing...

Thank you!




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629984

No comments:

Post a Comment