Pages

Search blog and web

Timing on introducing kids to someone new

Hello all,

I did a search on the forum for advice for introducing someone new to my kids. However, I kept getting results on people asking about their exes introducing THEIR new significant others.

My situation - separated almost two years, divorce will be final by mid October. I have three children 6, 4, 2 where the oldest who is the most aware seems to have accepted that Mommy and Daddy are no longer together and will not get back together. My 4 year old doesn't question the situation, but I'm sure he will down the road. My 2 year old knows no different. She only knows Mommy is Mommy, and Daddy lives elsewhere and comes to visit a couple times a week. Anyway, I've been dating someone for 3 months and he definitely is not rushing meeting the kids. He's excited to meet them, but totally understands that it's on my timeline and he wants me to be 100% comfortable with it whether it be next month or next year or a couple years down the road. He's awesome. My plan is to wait til the 6 month mark to see where we stand and to reassess when I'd like to my kids to meet him.

I'd like at some point after the 6 month mark to have him meet the kids in a casual setting, like an outing to a museum or something else with distractions to see how he interacts with them. This would be no different than the kids hanging out with other friends of mine who accompany us out for the day or come and hang out at the house with us. There would be no PDA, it would be totally friendly and casual. I'd rather do that and see if it clicks before getting more invested in the relationship. He definitely has long term potential. Even after 3 months, I think we are pretty serious, but of course, I'm cautious. I want to be smart about it. And there's no way I'd introduce them this early on.

What has everyone else done? What have been your experiences? I've dated here and there, but it was nothing and my kids know nothing about it. This is totally different.

Please give me some advice!

Thanks all!




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment