Pages

Search blog and web

Difficulty moving on, staying friends and balancing contact

Hi
I've come here for a bit of advice.
My sixth-form girlfriend broke up with me at the start of summer - she was going away for a month and saw little point struggling on only to have to face university apart. Now I felt it seemed a bit lazy not to want to try but I'm coming round to seeing it would have probably only ended worse. Moving on-wise I've been trying to enjoy it for what it was (first love) but held out some hope until she returned - I didn't feel uni was a sufficient explanation, and guessed it was because of the lack of time we'd spent together (I backed off during exams and was generally awkward about her coming home and the physical side of things, it being my first relationship). When I asked again this week, for closure, she insisted it was simply the prospect of uni. In short, it feels as raw as two months ago and she knows this.
Anyway, she has said she does wants to be friends in the future (I trust her word) - as do I - but isn't up to face-to-face contact yet. We have been speaking by text but I find myself initiating and driving conversations in which she seems totally uninterested, much like the last bit of our relationship. Clearly she has not had feelings for me for a while and she is focused on going to uni but for an otherwise caring person it seems strange to make no move towards setting in train a firm friendship.
After bumping into each other whilst out on Monday - an awfully awkward hello-goodbye - she has suggested we 'leave it [contact] for a while', with no further explanation and has ignored my other messages. I've never been in a relationship before; is it accepted that moving on completely is a precondition for friendship and that this has to be done separately? She knows I still have feelings but I think I'm mature enough to talk as friends. Should I just back off? (Not talking has been difficult for two months and my summer of moping only started looking up when we got back in touch.) Or are there any old hands to whom my being so keen smacks of an underlying desire to go further than friendship? I would hate to lose her as a friend and I don't want to leave for uni in this awkward rut. Any thoughts? I'm sure others have been here or hereabouts.
Thanks in advance




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment