Pages

Search blog and web

What should I do?

I want a divorce from my husband of 10 years. We have an 8 year old and a 1.5 year old. We have grown apart in many ways, and it is clear that we would both be happier divorced. There are no affairs going on. We just do not think it best to stay together for the children, as being in an unhappy marriage just for the kids - we believe it to be a bad example.
The biggest issue I have had through the years with him is his inability to take responsibility and get help for his anger management issues. I believe he has an angry temperament. he refuses to go to counseling. Daily, he explodes and lets off steam, as his stresses build up.
In discussing the particulars of the divorce we actually could agree on almost everything, except him taking a class or getting therapy for the anger management issue. He tends to deny, blame others, or change the subject when it comes up.
One percent of the time, I feel uncomfortable with him around the kids, as when he gets angry he looses all sense, threatens to kill them, etc. It rarely becomes physical, but on occasion he has shoved them, grabbed the neck of the oldest, but rarely has it gone beyond just barking aggressively. I know this is scary and affects the kids deeply, even if there is nothing physical.
The other 99%, he is a good to great father, nurturing, a good teacher, compassionate, etc.

This one issue and his refusal to take it seriously, along with his efforts to be emotionally abusive to me, as well, make me seriously regret my marriage. It is just not okay with me to live like this, and I want out.

We had talked about doing a prose divorce with a 50/50 custody split, but it all broke down when I asked him to take a class in anger management.

He claimed that if I pursued the anger management course, that he would claim that I am crazy and need psychiatric help, that he would turn the kids against me, that they would eventually see that I am crazy, etc.

I know all that BS - what I call reverse-talk - his issues and problems not mine. If you know what The Work by Byron Katie is then you know what I mean...

It made me realize that I need to step up on behalf of the kids and seek full custody and do my best to limit the time he sees them, as he really will never be capable of taking responsibility for his problem. This is not something I want to do, just something I feel I have no choice but to do.

Are there other choices here to consider?

Thanks for your thoughts.
What do you think?




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment