Pages

Search blog and web

Deserted

So hi.
It's been a year since she left. I'm not all that phased about it anymore. However I'm still married to her. Here's my predicament;

- We lived in the UK. She was from the US. She moved back to the US, I'm still in the UK.
- We got married in the US. All the records are in the US.
- I'm unable to get hold of a copy of any of the documentation needed to file for divorce (for some obscure reason, she found it necessary to take all that back to the US with her).
- She emailed me...probably around March, saying she was going to start to file for divorce. Which was music to my ears, because I can't.
- It's now nearly August, and still nothing's been sent through to me with regards to this.
- I have no way of contacting her. Hell, I'm not even certain where she's living anymore.
- Pretty soon, I'm going to be moving. Leaving the country, starting afresh.

So my questions are;

1. I obviously have grounds for divorce based on willful desertion. I had no say in the matter, she just left while I was at work - hasn't been seen since. Since I can't get my hands on any of the documentation needed to file for divorce (I've hunted around all the places I can, the documentation doesn't exist anywhere other than in Illinois - which I'm also told is where I need to file, but see Q2 on this). How might I go about getting this going if; a) I can't get the paperwork, and b) I've no idea where she actually is?

2. A legal company in the US told me that in order to file for divorce, because we got married in Illinois, I have to file for divorce there too. However, from what I've read, Illinois divorce law states you have to have lived there for 90 days prior to filing, which I obviously can't do. Is this true? What are my options?

3. If I move, leave the country, become uncontactable to her as she has become to me, what are my rights going forward, unable to file for divorce from either side, because we can't both sign the paperwork? Is there some way I can simply "terminate" this notation of a marriage I have so I'm not legally bound to her anymore, regardless of whether I can contact her or not?

Please help :(

Dan




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment