Pages

Search blog and web

Aspergers and friendships/relationships

Hi

So here's the thing, I'm 19 and in the first year of studying a Computer Science degree and I feel as though I have a bit of a dilemma. Before I explain my situation I need to tell you a few things first though. I'm an only child and didn't have a great deal of family as I grew up; unfortunately only really my parents now. This meant I was kind of sheltered (as my parents were quite protective) and didn't really experience a range of types of relationships. I began to come out of my shell a fair bit in year 13 and still did so for the first term of uni, though I feel as though I've gone backwards a bit this term. I have Asperger's, problems with coordination, and what I believe to maybe be slight dyspraxia.

I got good GCSEs and A-Levels and am doing fairly well in my course, and university has given me opportunities unlike I had at home and made me broaden my interests. The main problem regards developing friendships and in particular relationships, the latter of which I've tried a couple of times this year but didn't really get anywhere. I've met a lot of different people at university and do have a good group of friends, however we don't always see eye-to-eye because of our different outlook on things and have arguments, primarily because of one or two things that they do that I don't want to be involved with. Also, whilst I'm generally thought of as being a friendly, kind person I can be socially awkward at times and thus find it difficult to engage with my peers. According to a friend I perhaps "spread myself a little thinly at times" however.

There's a distance that I feel between myself and my peers that I want to overcome. I know it's a result of my AS and has been worsened by my slightly limited social experience, though I'd really like to become closer again to my existing friends and make new ones too, as well as in time try and get a girlfriend. I've gone to a few societies over the year (and will definitely keep going with one in particular) and will try a couple of new ones next year, though I feel as though at these I've just really made more acquaintances.

Sorry for the long post and this really isn't a rant about how bad my life is, because I'm fortunate in many other ways and hopeful, but this is a real challenge that I face. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
Thank you :)




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment