Pages

Search blog and web

How soon is too soon?

So, me and my ex were together just over a year. Before we got together we had liked each other as younger teenagers, then lost contact when his family moved away, then got back in contact when we found out he was in the year below me at uni. I then waited a year for him to ask me out.

At first everything seemed great, however, it moved way too fast. He proposed after 3 months and we were drunk, I said "yes" without thinking. I would have liked to talk to him the next morning about it, waiting quite a long time etc. but we were at a ball when it happened and someone overheard and told the DJ and it was announced to everyone - no going back.

I kind of went through the motions, but the wedding that we did plan wasn't my dream wedding - the venue, the music etc. was all what he wanted for himself and his family. We chose a hotel local to our families because he didn't want his to travel too far - my family would travel the world and I wanted something by either Loch Lomond or more historic, but an hours travel was 'too much'.

For a good few months before I ended things, they just weren't right or happy. We spent more time arguing that not, and I realised we both needed to be with different people - we weren't the people we needed/wanted each other to be. He needs to be with someone 24/7 and would get annoyed if I made plans with a friend for a few hours on a Saturday because he "always" seen me then; he wanted to come wedding dress shopping as it was his wedding; wanted me to double check with him that it was okay if I took extra hours at work etc. I like my space and independence. Surely not seeing someone for a few hours less than normal won't kill someone?
We just weren't compatiable.

I finished things on Sunday, gave him the ring back, I dealt with the suppliers etc as I was the one who finished it.

I have always had a good friend - we have had similar things happen in our lives, at the same stage etc. - and we get on great. Before getting with my ex I did like this friend, but I didn't break up with my ex for this guy - me and him simply weren't compatiable.

This guy friend has asked me out for drinks tonight as he lives a wee bit away from me but will be closer and wants to wish me happy birthday - it's tomorrow.
I said yes.

I've not felt any sense of guilt about it, and since the break up I've not been sad - just lighter, relieved. I'm not going through with a wedding I don't want and it will hurt my ex less than in the long run. I'm not constantly stressed through arguing and such.

Given the fact that I am not in mourning, as the relationship was over long before it was verbally said, how soon is too soon to go out for drinks with someone?
This is just a 'friend date' as opposed to a 'romantic date', but a 'date' nonetheless.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment