Pages

Search blog and web

Any lawyers on here? How do I get around residency requirements for divorce?

Hi All,

I posted a couple of months ago, and since then my situation has become exponentially worse, to the point where I have decided divorce is my only option. I would appreciate a lot of advice.

First, my situation is complicated. I work for the government and move to a different country every few years. I'm moving from Africa to Latin America in a week, with time in the U.S. in between. My husband followed me to Africa, but did not work for a majority of the time we were here because of my job.

We have a 3-year old son, and it does break my heart that he will not see his daddy every day (although he currently left for over a week without telling me where he is going, so he really doesn't see him every day now). I want sole custody. Despite the complicated and international nature of my job, my husband does not have the capacity to take care of our son either emotionally or financially. I also, however, do not want to have to give up all of the money I have saved for a house because my husband failed out of school (that I paid for) and hasn't been able to find work.

The other complicated portion of all of this is that we are residents of CT, but we do not live there because I live abroad. I use my brother and sister-in-law's address. CT has a 12-month residency requirement. Does anyone know if there are any waivers? If most states have this residency requirement, then I cannot get a divorce for another three years (at least) and I can't take it that long.

I don't know what to do. I think I could reasonably get a fault divorce, because I have pretty good evidence that he is cheating, and I have documented his childish behavior, but I want this divorce sooner rather than later, and I do not know how I can go about it. Thank you for the advice.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment