Pages

Search blog and web

Have you ever fallen for someone from a different culture/religion? Your experiences

  • Thread Starter

Hi all

I just wanted to start a thread where people can share their experiences if they have been in this situation.

I was in a relationship, and fell hard and fast, for a guy who was muslim and from a family with a strong arab culture. Everyone warned me that it wouldn't work, that it was a bad idea to get involved with a muslim man but I ignored them. He was so nice and respectful to me at first, and I overlook the religious differences as he seemed open minded and didn't really practise the religion.

However, once his family found out about us, it was a little different. His mother was horrified that he was spending time with, what she called 'a European slag', and demanded him to answer her whether I was a virgin or not :S His father and siblings were ok-ish about it, but he asked if I would consider converting to Islam in the future. This is when I freaked out a little bit. He asked me to be more 'careful' about my 'open' clothes, feeling uncomfortable if my top showed a little cleavage or if my legs were out, and would say 'you can never wear that with my mother'. When we went swimming, and I would wear a bikini he would say things like 'I just imagine what my mum would say if she can see this'. I started to feel bad about who I was, and question whether I am 'cheap'.

This all scared me, and made me distance myself, which led to the relationship breaking down. I realised that maybe love can't overcome cultural differences. I didn't listen to anyone (what girl does though?), but now I know I can never involved myself in this heartbreak again. I am not against muslims though, I have muslim friends, but I can never date one again.

Anyone else have any experiences?

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment