Pages

Search blog and web

Made a huge mess and I have no idea what to do

  • Thread Starter

I work in an EFL language school, and it is a chain of schools around the city. The school I am in is very small, with just a couple of staff members, whereas other schools can have as many as 20 teachers.
Since August is going to be a very quiet month, with few students taking lessons, we have been told that this would be the best time to take summer holidays. I have an elderly grandma in another country and we only get to visit her once per year, as it's quite far, so we usually go during the summer holidays.
This year, my family had been unsure over the dates, they were originally going for one week at the very end of August, but nothing was completely set in stone. I asked my job for this week off, and they told me it would be ok. Then, my parents told me it was more probable they would be going another date, one week earlier.
Nothing had been booked yet, but unfortunately my colleague had already booked this week off (though I didn't know at this point)
There had been no mention of us still going on this holiday and I did not ask my job if I could move to this date (which was stupid as me). Coincidentally, the same day I was going to ask my job about changing the dates, I received an email from my parents saying that the holiday had been booked.
I told my job right away that this holiday had been booked and that I would really need to go one week earlier, if possible. They told me that my colleague would be going on holiday so it would not be possible for me.
I found this unfair because as I mentioned our center is tiny, and there will still be two other teachers there during this week (in the past we only had 2 teachers anyway and we were fine). They also have the option of bringing in teachers from other centers if they need help (which is how it works, teachers go between different centers)
Also, I told them 3 months in advance. I am sure many students will be on holiday in August, and how people can be sure that they're going to have a lesson on this date in 3 months. Sometimes, I am asked to work in another center just one day before.
I know this is my fault, but I really think my center could easily get other teachers just for 3 days. I've told my family the truth and they told me I could hopefully sort it out.
This is an elderly relative in ill health, and I will be very sad to not see her. I've offered to take the days unpaid, but I have no idea what to do.
I feel like a complete idiot, I literally feel sick every day and stressed because of this. I have no idea what to do. I am wondering whether I should just ring in sick at the time a day or two before (though it's compulsory to have a doctor's note in this country) or tell them I have an urgent family problem and need to leave.
I know this is self-inflicted and I should have been more careful. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice. Thanks in advance.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment