Pages

Search blog and web

I am stupid and don't have a lot to offer

  • Thread Starter

In my relationship with my boyfriend I am the 'stupid' one. This is because I am clumsy; I trip over things easily, I have a bad memory and am forgetful, it sometimes takes me a while to 'get' things, and sometimes I lack common sense.
I had never considered myself like this. I knew I was never Einstein, but I gained a degree from a respectful university, I am now a language teacher, I speak another language to an almost bilingual level (though I still have some difficulties) and I've been told I am a good writer and been asked to proof-read several dissertations. I was skilled in trampolining and running also.
However, since my boyfriend IS bilingual, is highly skilled in art, instruments, cooking, etc. has a sharp memory, is very quick witted etc. I've realised that I am really nothing special.
I end up p***ing him off almost on a daily basis because of my clumsy and dopey ways. He gets annoyed and tells me I am stupid, and now it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I am literally nervous when I do the food shopping in case I will get something wrong, when it is my turn to cook I am terrified of burning something or messing something up.
I've told him to not call me this and I've told him that I have had enough of him getting annoyed over little things, but then I do the next stupid thing and he tells me that I cannot blame him for calling me stupid.
I guess he is right. I am trying to pay more attention to what I do, but I feel like it is just the way I am. He tells me often that he loves me, and he has said I am the best one for him, and we've been together for a couple of years.
It is him who has to show me and teach me stuff, and I genuinely feel like a 5 year-old sometimes, and that he is my father. (Now I am thinking of Luke... I am your father... :s)
But I do not see this changing. I am not going to wake up one day and become a member of Mensa. It's a strain for us, and I do not blame him really.
I bet I am a nightmare to live with sometimes. We've had severe arguments and almost broken up because of this. We do get on well often, but I feel so unimpressive and like I cannot show him anything new.
Does anyone have any advice on what I could do? Thanks in advance.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment