Pages

Search blog and web

What do retail workers do for childcare?

My wife and I have made the decision to have a child in an uncertain not-too-distant timeframe. Working in retail, her schedule changes week to week and month to month. The daily cost of a commercial daycare program could very well exceed her daily take-home pay.

She'll be the primary caretaker but wishes to work part time because her job is part of her identity. I'll continue to bring home the bacon (and benefits)Our Plan A is for her to work evenings and weekends (her employer makes her do that anyway) and provide care during the day. I'll come home and provide care while she goes to work. I'm glad to have the opportunity. For now, we both agree it's important that she not overdo hours. We want to see each other and have time as a family.

As much as I like Plan A, I've been wanting to find out what other retail employees do for child care. Partly because I'm curious, and partly because I expect my wife's employer to strong-arm her into some daytime hours. Do people use home day care providers? Ask for help from relatives?

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment