Pages

Search blog and web

Wife wants agreement. I want to argue.

I would love advice from women about something my wife and I are struggling with. My wife wants me to agree with her, pretty much all the time. I grew up in a house with a lot of debates, and I have a hard time with this. To me, discussions, debates, even arguments (if they aren't nasty) are enjoyable. But my wife feels uncomfortable with the conflict. If I disagree with her then her feelings are hurt. For example, last night we were talking about some town planning decisions where we live (Yes, we talk about town planning.) She made a comment about our city being the way it is because its a newer, west coast city. I disagreed, and pointed out the same feature in older east coast cities. I wasn't mean, I didn't insult her or yell, I just disagreed. She suddenly became quiet and I realized I'd hurt her feelings. So she's hurt when I disagree but I feel frustrated by only being able to say yes. How can I make her feel heard but also have an opinion?

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment