Pages

Search blog and web

Cancer and marriage

I am currently fighting my 3rd battle with cancer, very advanced stage 3 and have been for 3 years. I've had 3 surgeries and am currently recieving IV chemotherapy for the 2nd time. My oncologist is still hopeful that I can be cured even though there is chance that I may become terminally ill. I am 48 y/o, in fairly good health aside from cancer and require little help from others in daily living. I feel well most days except for some nausea and fatigue normally associated with chemo. I stopped working about 9 months ago due to health but hope to work again some day if cured.

At this point in my life I really want to focus and work on improving my marriage, since my wife and children are the only family that I have. I had never been a very emotional guy before. But under the circumstances lately I have been craving love, closeness, and intimacy much more than I had in the past. I want to make the most of whatever time I have left, whether it be 2 years or 20 years.

My wife and I have been married 15 years. The first years of marriage were great and over the years we've faced problems and challenges as all couples do and have remained faithful and loyal to each other. I love my wife very much and she is my best friend. She has been with me through my surgeries and has accompanied me to all my chemo treatments. She has been a stay-at-home mom since about 3 months before my original cancer diagnosis and she has taken on doing more of the household chores lately though I try to help as much as I can. I am very grateful for her. I feel that she loves me also and would be devastated if I were to pass away and it would take a while for her to recover and put her life back together.

Over the past 5 - 10 years, she has seemed more like a companion or close friend than an intimate partner or wife. Don't get me wrong, we have shared many good times and went on many nice vacations together. But also until I stopped working 9 months ago, I or we had also been under a fair amount of stress over the years from my job, raising kids, dealing with in-laws, etc. . I never stopped loving her, though I may not have always shown it as much as I should of and I regret that. I have always had the upmost respect for her and have never been physically or verbally abusive. I would like nothing more than to rebuild the emotional bond and the closeness that we had when we first got together. I know there is nothing that I can do to change or undo anything in the past but would like to know what I can do, going forward, to make our last years we have together the best.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment