Pages

Search blog and web

How do we decrease poverty in America?

I have read several articles lately on the war on poverty and how it has largely been unsuccessful. I'm wondering. What does this country do to attack poverty? How do we decrease the large number of people on welfare? Is it more jobs, less welfare, higher minimum wage, etc?

I will admit that I don't think you can keep throwing money at poor people and help the poverty situation. I know poor people. Some work hard and have had bad circumstances. Others, though, live off of welfare and don't like working. They feel someone owes them something. They have expensive habits, like smoking and drinking. They believe it is unfair that others are wealthy or comfortable and that they owe them $. They work jobs at McDonalds, but expect to be paid like a secretary or skilled tradesman. They have multiple children they cannot afford, but refuse to stop having them.

Unfortunately, millions have grown up in a cycle of poverty where that's all they know. How do we break these cycles?

I'm curious to get the opinions of others. I understand that opinions vary among conservatives and liberals. I somewhat conservative myself, but not far right. I do, though, think that giving people money, food stamps, free phones, etc is not helping the situation.

So what will work?
Posted via Mobile Device

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment