Pages

Search blog and web

The unified story of SandC

Several people here at TAM have asked me, "So, what's your story?" I keep telling them I'll tell my story some time. I've been asked several times so here it is. I'll probably break it up a bit as I guess I can get wordy when talking about myself.

I met the woman I thought I would spend my entire life with on a summer job with the California State Park service. We worked well together, had the same sense of humor, and I thought she was REALLY pretty. Her mother was Swiss and her father was Chinese and she was a beautiful blend of the two. Sure she had her quirks but who doesn't right?

We kept in touch after our summer job ended and eventually started dating. After a year I asked her to marry me. She accepted. We were in college, taking the same classes. All our instructors called us "the lovebirds." After a year of dating I asked her to marry me, she said yes without hesitation. Life was great. She took a job as hostess/waitress at The Good Earth, and I was transitioning between a job as a cook to a job as a delivery driver. At one point I had been awake for 48 hours and was returning home after a night of driving delivery. That's when I fell asleep.

I woke up skidding sideways on the wrong side of the road. A split second later I heard a loud, sickening crunch sound and the left side of my body when numb. I was broadsided by a woman in a Pinto. I found myself in the passenger seat with my head hanging out of a broken side window. The car was on the opposite shoulder now rolling into a shallow ditch. Somehow there were already people standing around my car yelling at me to put the emergency brake on. I slide over and pushed down with my left foot to engage the brake, felt a pain up my left side.

This was the accident that changed my happy go lucky life for almost forever. I was sent to the hospital in an ambulance. I got there and they said I was lucky I was not wearing a seat belt in this case. I'd have almost certainly been paralyzed from the waste down given the accident. I ended up with a minor concussion, all my left hand ribs were cracked, my spleen was bruised (not sure how they determined that). I was on a 24 hour watch for an emergency spleen removal. Luckily I kept it.

I was recovering but my fiancee didn't seem her normal self. She was a mixture of concern for my health and anger at me for getting in the accident. Within a month I was in court. I hadn't spoken to a lawyer or anything. While in court the bailiff came up to me and asked where my lawyer was. I told him I didn't have one. He told me when the judge asks you how to plead, tell her you plead no contest and tell her I said so.

So the judge asked how I plead to the charges, I told her no contest. She asked did anyone present or any officer of the court ask you to plead this way. I told her, yes, the bailiff did. She threw her gavel in the air and asked the bailiff to approach. He winked at me.

Turns out that the Judge was best friends with the woman I got into an accident with. That woman worked in probation and had friends at the jail. I was about to sent to jail and have the sh!t kicked out of me daily for as long as they could keep me there. The bailiff saved me from that. The case was transferred to another court.

So I got a public defender and I'm going through the courts, they don't want to prosecute until the civil lawsuit that was filed against me was settled. Plus her lawyers never showed up in court. The judge kept continuing the case. Meanwhile my fiancee kept getting more and more distant and angry with me. We almost never saw each other. I still had a night job driving delivery. I finish, jump on BART (local transit) go to her house and crash in her bed while she was at work during the day. Then she'd come home, wake me up, I'd go home and shower and change and get ready for work again. I had dropped out of the college I was in and started at a 2 year vocational college instead. It was hard fitting that in as well.

I was finally offered a deal by the judge, 5 days community service or take it to a trial, which assured me I would be found not guilty. I told him I was as tired of seeing him as he was of seeing me and I'd just take the 5 days community service. He smiled and said DONE! Right after this I got a call from my fiancee. She said she wanted time to find herself and figure out if we really had a future together. Uh, what?

So turns out she dumped me for a sailor she had met at work. She had been seeing us both for some time. I was heartbroken. I still loved her. I thought with my legal troubles over (though I still had a lawsuit to pay off) that things would be better. Nope. She was gone and that was that. I fell into my darkest time ever. The pain was unbearable to me. I finally tried to slash my wrists.

Luckily I wasn't very good at that. I called my best friend M (a woman who was more like my sister and probably loved me more than my sisters). She called me an idiot in her loving way and came over and helped me clean up the blood and bandage everything up. Luckily I didn't hit a vein. She was a big comfort to me in the following months. We hung out a lot, went places, just had fun. I started hanging out with my old friends a lot too. That's when I started hearing stories from M and my friends about things my fiance had done or said to them. Apparently she was a real b!tch to them. She was actively trying to drive a wedge between them and I. I was so twitterpated I couldn't see it. I learned a lot about her from them.

I started trying to get more active in my church. Getting back to singing in the choir again and playing handbells. And I started trying to get to know a certain young woman named C a little better. C had actually gotten me in trouble when I was still engaged. My fiancee caught me looking at her during a handbell practice and I heard no end of it. It turns out C would play a huge part in my life.

More to come...




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment