| Received an unexpected phone call from a headhunter the other day about a job in a community a little over 3-hours away from home. For a multitude of reasons, neither Ms. Spin nor I believe it'd be good for the family to pull up and move to this community. On-the-other-hand, there are a multitude of reasons we need to take this job if it pans out i.e., stability, pay and advancement. It dawned on us however, that given the distance and the amount of time I currently commute (2 hours + each day), that if the money is right and I could negotiate the office schedule i.e., 4/10 or 5/10/10/10/5 (meaning I'd rent a cheep apartment or buy a FEMA/Hurricane Katrina trailer and park it somewhere) we could net out with me actually having more "family" time at the house I'd just be sleeping somewhere else 3 or 4 days a week. Ms. Spin is a SAHM and former career woman. We have a grade-schooler and a pre-schooler. Marriage is stable (13 years), no issues and 3 of the 5 years we dated we did so "long-distance" seeing each-other maybe once every 4 months. We're both on board with this if the opportunity presents itself. I'd appreciate any advice/thoughts from those of you who do or have done this e.g., military or oil/gas field workers etc. I think my big concern is how much more of a burden will it put on Ms. Spin. For me, I think it'd be a fairly easy routine to manage. | |||
| | |||
| | |||
|
Commuter Marriages Thoughts/Experiences
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment