Pages

Search blog and web

What negativity does to a man

Constant negativity is something most people, male or female, can't tolerate. I read somewhere recently that women need to realize what it does to their man when all he hears from her is negativity and complaints from her -- whether it is talking about not having a thing to wear (but your closet is full?), not having enough money for this or that or whatever, how much she hates so and so, what the dog did on the carpet today, the problem junior is having with math, etc.... The guy wants to solve and when the issues are piling up, he gets overwhelmed. The complaints can be legitimate, but sooner or later it's going to seem like that is all he hears.

I was out for my usual Sunday morning breakfast with my daughter this past weekend when she told me how frustrated she was the night before because she had spent all afternoon with her mother and aunt, and her aunt was so negative that she couldn't stand to be around her any more. I had noticed how quiet and withdrawn my daughter was when I got home that night, a rarity for her to be that way, and I had guessed that might be the reason for her funk. As I listened to my daughter talk about her aunt, I had to fight the temptation to talk to her about her mother. Why?

Let's just say negativity runs in the family. Listening to my daughter, coupled with what I had read about how a wife's negativity affects her husband, made me realize why I am having such a hard time sitting alone with my wife. She is constantly piling it on me, problem after problem after complaint after issue after failure failure failure.. because after a while she makes me feel like a complete failure.

Our daughter is a college freshman. I started a new job a few months ago, allowing me an extra hour or so in the morning before going to work, where I can sit for a quiet breakfast with my wife.

Instead of sitting with her, I find myself fleeing out the door. As I listen to her, I can feel a tightening in my chest, the stress of listening to her complain overwhelming me.

Can anyone relate to what I just said?

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment