Pages

Search blog and web

Why can't I talk about it?

I'm really, really frustrated, and I wanted your opinion on this.

I'm an out bi guy, and also a writer. There's a competition opening up that involves writing about a human rights issue, and I really want to do about bisexual erasure (because as well as obviously having first-hand experience of it, I think it's a really important issue that's pervaded so many facets of popular culture, including psychological studies about non-heterosexuality). But I mentioned it to my (female) friends, and their reaction seemed to suggest that they thought I would be being a narcissistic attention-whore if I did my article on it, and I should go do something else. I've had similar reactions in the past, including from my best friend. They all seem to think I should shut up about it.

I don't understand! I don't want to do this because I want to 'broadcast' my sexuality, I want to do it because it's a really important issue that I happen to be personally linked to. Why is it that racial minorities and even some gay/transgender people seem to be able to talk about their personal experiences and it not be frowned upon, but somehow with bisexuality it's voyeuristic and attention-seeking?!

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment