Pages

Search blog and web

Not sure whether to move?

Basically I am a first year in a halls of residence I also have a medical condition which means I sleep a lot and nap. Last week building work started outside my room (it's not to do with the uni, it's the council doing the work) and I basically spent the whole weekend in bed and didn't do much of my essay as a result. After being woken up again at 8am today I spoke to the admin person for my halls. The emergency rooms in my halls are already in use, my options were to see if there's an emergency room in another building (even if it means driving for 10-15 mins) or move.

I said I wanted to see if there's an emergency room first of because my current room fills all my current medical needs (ground floor, ensuite and it is SO massive compared to most uni rooms so I really love it). I also really like a lot of people in my building and know I'm always welcome in their kitchens, to eat with them and get invited to their quieter activies like going to the pub (they know I can't do clubbing). However, I am quite unhappy in my immediate kitchen. The majority of them can't really speak english, they are on their foundation year so they are learning english this year basically. Saying that, they seem nice enough we just can't really have a proper conversation.

The real tension I have is with one of the english girls and my initial attitude was I can't let one person (even if they have a BIG personality) make me feel so uncomfortable I feel I have to leave. It got to the point she said said something really nasty to me this week about being disabled - things were a bit strained with someone else because I couldn't take the bins out because I've had a bit of crash and am not physically strong enough right now to lift it up. My friend from home has helped me take them out before and I just wasn't aware that it was expected it was my turn again this week. I had an operation in hospital last week and I was vomiting too much to travel home , I thought they'd be a bit more understanding.

So she and the other person went to complain to the pastoral people about the bins and we had a kitchen meeting with them the other day. I think things will be a bit better now the pastoral people did stick up for me about the bins thing... but I don't know how long for because the real problem isn't anything I'm doing in particular it's just personalities.

In my opinion both the english people don't have the perspective on life that comes with maturity so every little thing seems like the end of the world to them (the one I don't get along seems to enjoy making things dramatic end of the world type thing - like her language is 'always' 'never' , extremely black and white thinking, where as the other just has very a high level of anxiety (I'm not sure if she's actually been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder or not though). The anxiety one is actually a nice person, it can just a bit draining living with someone who is so stressy. What came up in the meeting was a bit ridiculous in my opinion, they ahd a big list of things that I had done to irritate them since one like 'dropped two strawberries on the floor and failed to pick them up' and I just felt like I'm sorry for being careless, I didn't realise, they didn't tell me at the time. If they had I would have said sorry and picked them up. It's not that hard? Are these really things we need to get people involved in sorting out?

The list was basically all things like this apart from an incident where she said I humiliated her infront of my coursemate by yelling at her... when I told my coursemate, they were speechless and had no idea what on earth she was on about... neither did I. She said she'd vouch in court that I didn't, she hoped it didn't come to that but joked the way things are between us she wouldn't be suprised if we ended up there. If I'm honest from day one I felt a bit funny about the girl I'm living with, as I had overheard her and her dad having a screaming match when she was moving in and I can't say my family is perfect but it made me a bit unkeen to meet her as I'm really not a fan of shouting (oh the irony, in saying I yelled at her) and they weren't simply raising there voices, it was scary. However, I tried telling myself I don't know what's going on in her personal life so try not to judge. So I don't know maybe she's so used to tension at home, she is trying to create it her e as it's what's normal to her (she moved in a day late too because she and her brother had an argument apparently :S).

She seems to have quite a distorted view of things in general which make discussions really hard because usually even if you don't agree with a person, you know what they're on about. Where as she seems to come up with things which just don't make any sense whatsoever,

But yeah, she is just one person. But one person can create a lot of bad feeling and I don't know what's more important, lovely room and great people in other kitchens... or being moved somewhere I don't know anyone, but could potentially be less problematic in my immediate environment. Before the roadworks though I was convinced I'd suck it up and stay. Although my bestfriend from home says even she is dreading coming to visit me again, because last time she visited, she really had to hold her tongue with this girl and that was before the dramatics of last week. What do you all think?

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment