Pages

Search blog and web

Is it wrong to think this about my mother? Feeling guilty

Please bear with me, as I have no one I'd feel comfortable to share this with.

My mother had an operation this year and she also started prophylactic chemotherapy a couple of months ago. She's ok now, the operation was ok, her tests are good, but she has to suffer the side-effects of the treatment. And she is dealing with it very badly, as she has with this entire story from the very beginning.

I can appreciate that it is an unpleasant experience, but I still think she is making a bigger deal out of this than she should. We've had friends who've had worse scares and predicaments but it felt like they weren't so dramatic about it. I wish she'd handle this with a bit more grace and dignity.

Instead, she complains all the time about how she's feeling, even if it's just a little nausea. I feel more than a bit weird saying this, but I get the feeling that she's kind of crying for attention and enjoying all the attention she gets now from the friends and family that know about this. I for one, cannot have a normal conversation with her. I'm at uni now, so away from home, and on the rare occasions that we talk during the week, all I get to hear is a detailed account of what she's been eating and how she's been feeling physically. She rarely thinks to ask about me. Quite often she also goes on these self-pitying episodes when she says that she *knows* she's going to die soon, despite all the reassurance she gets from doctors that she's alright. I've tried to support her and I've been patient, but talking to her has become very unpleasant.

She makes negative comments about my dad or other people that she can't stand being around apparently. I've always noticed and disliked this petty aspect of hers, but now it seems even more obvious. Also, now I feel guilty for judging her for it. I'm not a monster, I realise how all this sounds but I can't seem to be able to ignore it. Is it really wrong of me to think these things? I haven't said anything to her about it and I don't really plan to. If I feel that I'm losing patience, I'll probably start cutting contact to a minimum.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment