Pages

Search blog and web

I desperately want to ask her out, but feel I need to be very careful

I haven't been in a relationship now for almost two years. My previous girlfriend said some pretty nasty things to me and treat me quite poorly. Thankfully the relationship ended before it got too bad, but to cut a long story short, it has hurt my confidence around women somewhat.

But let's fast forward to the present. I met the girl in question at university - we're in the same class. We've always got on pretty well, we always share a joke, help each other out with work, sit together, that kind of thing. I originally wanted to ask her out last year but was too fearful of rejection to do it. I thought all the signs were there - while I was working in the library for example, she'd come see me. She even invited me back to her country and offered to let me stay in her house while there! Since I was too scared though she went home for the summer and we never really talked over the summer.

We returned a few weeks ago to university and I feel even more strongly about her now. It seems we get even better. I'm not sure if it could be called "flirting" (I'm not entirely sure how to define flirting to begin with) but we certainly make each other laugh. We do evening language classes together. What surprised me a lot was that she joined up where I do placement work through the week. This seemed to me an attempt to be with me more - there were plenty of other opportunities available, some much more interesting than what I do, but she still came to work with me. We seem to have similar likes and dislikes, she seems pretty comfortable talking to me about slightly more personal things, I'm almost certain she's single... as I type this I am thinking "you're obviously onto a winner!" But there's a few problems in my mind.

Firstly, it's the fact we're in the same class. IF I am reading this wrong, and she gets offended by my advances, we have to look at each other for another two years at least. She's more reserved when we're with other people and much more talkative when we're alone... I wonder if there's anything to this or it's just me. I half jokingly asked her if she thought we'd make a good couple; she laughed and said "we might do" or something like that, so I'm fairly certain she knows I'm into her. My biggest problem though is my nerves: I just can't get the courage or the drive to ask and find out. I feel like I've built up this friendship over a year and it could all crumble if I do something wrong.

She's a really nice girl and I would love to take things to the next level. Do you think I should? Are the signs there? And how can I get over my crippling fear of rejection? And what on earth do I do if she says yes?

Thanks for reading.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 2629984

No comments:

Post a Comment