Pages

Search blog and web

I don't want to face my boyfriend. Help!

Hello TSR, please help me!!!

Last weekend, my boyfriend and I went to his parents' place for a family Sunday lunch and his brother was there.

During the course of the visit, my boyfriend's brother:

1) said that I am inevitably going to end up sponging off my boyfriend because I'm a girl and studying English lit which in his view isn't a very worthwhile subject (my boyfriend and his brother did engineering and work in oil and gas and so already earn quite a lot)

2) asked my boyfriend if I can cook well and when he was told that I can and do, said that this was the most important reason to keep hold of me

3) said that all women are after is marriage and children and they think about it all the time. I said that was an unfair generalisation and only applies to some women so...

4) he said I was just young and naive.

I am several years younger than my boyfriend and I always feel guilty about the fact that my boyfriend always pays when we go out (even though it makes sense because he can afford it and I can't), so what his brother said really hurt me: he was voicing my biggest fears about my relationship. Also, the comments about cooking and wanting to get married are insulting; we're not living in the 1950s any more!

When I mentioned all this to my boyfriend, however, he defended his brother and said that it wasn't meant maliciously. So now I'm feeling bad about what his brother said and angry at him for not understanding how upset it made me.

My boyfriend (I haven't seen him since last weekend as we're two hours apart) has no idea that I've been so upset and is writing me cheerful emails and wants to skype this evening. I don't know what to do! Should I pretend that everything's okay or confront him about it?




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment