Pages

Search blog and web

Help! What should we do?

My boyfriend and I have come across a dilemma in the last week. We knew it might happen- but just hope it wouldn't and now we have a big decision to make. But I want to know what other people think,how you would deal with it how to decide and if anyone has had to do anything similar:

I have been offered a graduate job. It pays 27.5k and it is a fantastic opportunity. But it's all the way over near Reading area. We live in Kent, my boyfriend works in Herne Bay in a role he really really enjoys, and the company has said it will help him take the necessary steps to become an actuary, but currently he is earning less than 20k and they have 'stopped training' at the moment. I am worried maybe they never will train him like thy say... Last time he was out of work for 3 months and we nearly split up- it put so much strain on us so we cannot simply move... Even though we know that the reason it was so hard before was because it was moving to Kent which has no jobs. But I don't know how easy it will be for him to get a job to train to be an actuary without being part qualified? I'm trying to convince him to study for the April exam. He also comes off probationary period in March so I have asked him to ask his management if he can move to another office in Reading or London.. But he doesn't want to do this, he likes his team etc. and doesn't want to give them any impression that he won't be staying.

He really wants to keep this job, and go down this career path... And I know I could get other jobs, even if they didn't pay as much so that he could do this. But I did my placement year at the comlany that has offered me the job so i know how good a working environment it is and how much this could carapualt my career...I haven't got any other offers on the table right now, just 2 in the pipeline (1 in the city we live and 1 in London).

I have 2 weeks to accept the job in Reading... Waiting for papers to arrive to see how easily i could get out of it after accepting. We could move somewhere in between Kent and Reading but the costs of 2 cars etc seems ridiculous..and I haven't passed my tests (starting lessons next week) So maybe living in London and commuting from there would be better? But then again the costs of living in London and commuting on the train are also astronomical.

Sorry this post is long but... Anyone who has an opinion no matter what it is please let me know. And anyone who knows about becoming an actuary when you've got a degree in a numerical subject please feel free to advise good steps.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment