Pages

Search blog and web

Issues in my relationship...help!?

Hey all,

I have been in a relationship with a girl for 5 months approx, I met my girlfriend through my friends girlfriend at her birthday party. I did not exactly click with her from the minute I saw her, it was not an immediate 'lusting'.

However, I tried my luck, flirted with her and pursued her (asked her if she wanted a drink and chatted to her) which is something I never ever do. I am relatively shy, and have a very low sense of worth, low self-esteem but on this night I kind of told myself 'i had nothing to lose'. And ultimately it worked, and we regularly met up (once or twice a week depending) we slowly got to know each other and developed feelings.

She is from a farming family and works a lot and is always at her parents 'lock and call', she always has to do as they say, works all the time day and night, shes 22 years of age like me, but doesn't really have much of a life.

Lives in a rural area, and kind of lives a sheltered life and for this reason, she is very conservative and has a very 'prudish' attitude to life and particularly to sexual matters. Her parents are Catholic also, and are against sex before marriage, and she is somewhat childlike whenever we mention sex she gets all embarrassed and looks away at awkward movie scenes. I'm not saying its her fault, but its hard to get around this and move forward and maybe explore this. But she is against it, and says that people that have sex before marriage are wrong and its disgusting.

Now, I love her and over time have developed feelings for her, but the most silliest thing that we both know of is, we have absolutely nothing in common.

She is into farming, wants to live on a farm in Yorkshire area all her life and stay at home, have a family etc. Whilst I am very pro-education, and believe in a good education, I want to travel and explore the world, embrace culture and accomplish my many dreams and ambitions. I am idealistic about the future, and don't really see my future living on a farm (limiting myself) shackled to a marriage or whatever.

I dunno, I just feel that my girlfriend wants me to come into her farming family business (seen as her parents passing it down to her), because she even mentioned to me "would you live on a farm? And work from home?". To which I replied "yeah maybe I dunno". She then said: "oh I've discussed all this with my mum, and I know what I want from my future". Feels like shes trying to rope me in with her plans, as though I am not allowed any, maybe shes just a tad controlling. I just felt like I couldn't breathe, because she knows I have aspirations and alternative aims. Yet she seems to think I will give it all in to live a confined life with her. Why should I punch below my belt if I am capable of more?

Additionally, we have nothing much in common, other than she worked down the council office as a designer designing posters and stuff, and I am currently at university studying in this area for my degree.

I am feeling more and more like the relationship is going to go nowhere or that she is going to become really manipulative and try and indoctrinate me into her farming lifestyle, in which I refuse to give up on my dreams, of which I have focused on for four years.

Part of me doesn't want to end it because I guess I feel if I end it, I will never get another girl (I honestly feel this way), think it might be my anxiety or depression because I have suffered from this for some time. It doesn't exactly help my self confidence. Before meeting my girlfriend I never went out, or even tried my luck with women, I never thought myself worthy, I never gave myself a chance, and I feel if I do end the relationship it will drive me into a very dark rut.

What would you do?? Any advice?

In the relationship, I am happy to some degree, but I feel because we have differences with hobbies and interests that our bond only goes so far, before we start to differ as people. Sometimes I think we are two very different people and that we are both kidding ourselves.

Me and her don't really have sex either (which isn't something I am obsessed with) but I mean, I value it as an important aspect of bonding. But she doesn't condone premarital sex. Advice needed??




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment