Pages

Search blog and web

Tattoos

First off, I mean no offense to anyone who has or loves tattoos, on themselves or others.

For me however, I really find them somewhat disgusting. On myself, on others, etc. I'm a man, so I don't care much about seeing tattoos on other men, but when I see them on women (attractive or otherwise) all I can imagine is how much better they might look if they hadn't scarred their body in such a way. Even a tattoo of a design that I might otherwise find really slick, you might be able to get me to say, "Yeah that's a really cool design, I like it," but it's still a tattoo! I just really can't figure them out, or why anyone would remotely want one.

I'm not trying to be judgmental here. To each their own. Maybe you want to memorialize a loved one, share ink with a buddy or bunch of friends/military unit/teammates/etc., express an accomplishment, etc. That's cool if that's your thing. Just don't be offended if I don't want to look at it, or answer, "No." when asked if I like your new ink. I won't like it.

That's not really my trouble though. My problem is that my wife wants to get a tattoo, or rather MORE tattoos. She already has one small one that she regrets, which has a messy story of it's own that I won't go into here. She knows that I really don't like tattoos, and I certainly haven't told her that I forbid her to get one or anything like that (I don't own her, it's her body), but she still repeatedly tries to talk to me about tattoo's, show me tattoo designs that she likes, talk about other people who recently got a tattoo, etc. etc. etc.. Sometimes I try to listen, but other times I try to avoid it and I know it disappoints her. It's frustrating for me because as many times as I have told her directly in a number of different ways that I do not like tattoos, I do not find them attractive, that in fact I find any woman or body part with a tattoo to be less attractive than it was before, and yet she still tries her best to try to convince me otherwise. Bless her he art, she has spent a LOT of time trying to find designs and ideas that she hopes I might like, or involve me in the process in some form, but what am I supposed to do? Lie to her face? I've reassured her that I love her very much, and will continue to do so no matter what including be supportive of her decisions, but that doesn't mean I have to like all of her decisions does it?

Today she went and got a new tattoo with a friend. She texted me photos, she told me all about it, she's excited, she eventually asks me what I think about it. I try to smile and nod, I try to keep a positive attitude, I say it's a "pretty design," but it's very clear that I'm not into it. It's not that she expected me to love it, but she clearly hoped that I would. This bums her out, and I don't know what to do about it. It's super frustrating. I mean, if I told her that I really want to gain 50 pounds, but she's not into overweight men, would it be fair of me to expect her to be happy and/or complimentary of me if I then go gain 50 pounds? She would probably still love me either way, but does that me she has to be happy with my decision too? I know well enough that she would prefer that I not gain 50 pounds and would not be happy with such a decision, so why would I hope otherwise?

Am I just supposed to lie/pretend? Potentially inviting even MORE tattoos?

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment