Pages

Search blog and web

Opinions and Opinions with back up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regret214
I challenge you to prove this with names and examples
For posters that make bold statements about very sensitive subjects I think Regrets challenge is a very good one. I think that making such judgments without some credible backup is not very convincing.


Often their response is "I am entitled to my opinion" That is correct but for me someone's opinion about a very serious matter without back up is just as about as credible as a prisoner's opinion that he is innocent. Lots of strong opinions but no back up or proof!

Just one example of what I am referring to was an exchange between Rookie and Vellocet in the Lurking Wayward thread. This is just only one example there are others. Vellocet claimed that Rookie had other reasons, other than welcoming waywards, for starting the thread Lurking Waywards. Vellocet claimed to know Rookies intentions for starting the thread but I did not see much backup to his claim. Maybe Vellocet has backup but I did not see it. See reprint of Rookie and Vellocret posts below.


The point I am making is that when someone makes a strong judgment statement about another person or topic I encourage them to be challenged to post some backup. Of course they do not have to but I put a lot more credibility with statements that have some backup reference. I assume that some others feel the same way and that backups posted would be more helpful in the threads and posts. I realize that there will not always be back ups and that is fine but when you make serious and bold statements about very sensitive subjects I think that backups would be helpful.


I applauded Regret for putting out the challenge!




Quote:

Post 1451
Originally Posted by Rookie4
Well, I've been on a little vac, and have looked in on my thread and it has progressed about as I thought it would.

By Vellocet
Yup, just as you thought it would, hence your stated reason for starting this thread wasn't anything of the sort, just as I thought.

Many were fooled about that. I wasn't. It was obvious with the first post.





Post 1618
Originally Posted by Rookie4
Welcome to TAM, Wayword. I hope you can learn to distinguish the helpful posters from the hateful ones.

By Vellocet
Ok, so rather commenting on wayword's post or helpingher, this is what you have to say?

See, told ya. Your premise for the reason behind this thread is nothing of the sort.





Post 1655
Originally Posted by Rookie4
Well, I thought it was pretty funny, as well. Thanks for the compliment. But you still don't know about this thread, nor it's meaning. But you never will, so you might as well stop trying.

By Vellocet
When you said, "just as I thought" about the way this thread turned out, it was clear why you started it. You may want to welcome waywards, and that's great, but it isn't the ONLY reason you started this thread, and you know it, and with that comment, acknowledged it.

What do you all prefer; opinions or opinions with backups for judgments about serious issues?

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment