Pages

Search blog and web

Career Question

This isn't a relationship question per se but it does affect my marriage and family.

Briefly, my H and I both work full-time making good money (I make six figures, H makes close to that). We have 2 boys, ages 9 and 5. I work 8am - 5pm Monday through Friday but with my 45 minute commute each way plus daycare drop-off, it's more realistically 7am - 6pm.

I haven't been happy for awhile in my career but I can't figure out how to change it. I like my job (mostly) and the people I work with (mostly) and I get paid very well. It would be next to impossible to find a better job closer to home and/or with more flexible hours. I would take a HUGE (50% or more) pay cut. The problem is that my kids are still young and I feel like I'm missing out on everything. Every morning/evening is a rush, I'm constantly stressed out getting everything done. I never get to go to their soccer/karate practice and it's really hard to even find activities that they can participate in around our work schedules. The only real time I spend with them is on the weekends. Plus I hate spending 1.5 hours in the car every day when I could be seeing my family, cleaning my house, grocery shopping, working out. I'm constantly battling my weight but when I'm not even home 11 hours a day, it's really tough to fit in regular exercise.

And to be honest, some days at work are busy and some days I'm just "filling time" until 5pm when I could be doing other more productive things. It's very frustrating.

So, the only options I can think of are:

1. Start my own at home business. Obviously there are lots of risks there. I might not make much money and it might take even MORE time. But at least it could be somewhat flexible and I could have control.

2. Ask my boss if I could work from home. This would really go against the grain of the company culture and they wouldn't like it at all. OTOH, they really don't want to lose me and to a certain extent, I could force the issue if I wanted (within limits).

I guess my question is - Did any other working moms transition to working from home? How did your boss take it? How do you handle it overall? Does it work well?

Maybe the grass isn't greener? I don't know! Any advice?




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment