Pages

Search blog and web

Changing jobs a month in...

I'm currently working a part time job in Communications for a software start-up. The pay is low but I fell into this line of work so I thought, at the very least, the work would be enjoyable and I'd be gaining experience, thus causing the need for a second degree to disappear.

I've been working for less than a month and I already hate the job.

Realistically, my position should be full time but I'm only allotted 20 hours a week. I make so little that I can't live on my earnings. I have a chance to gain more hours if I'm able to produce results - in other words, if I get them more social media exposure, I get a raise, either in hours and/or in pay rate. But they've got me putting out so many fires that I haven't had time to implement a marketing strategy. Worse yet, everything snaps together - their blog launch, their LinkedIn profile, their Twitter, their webinar schedule, appearances at events, etc. And I have no time to hook it all up!

When I took the job, they asked if I intended to continue looking for full time work. I said no and, at the time, I meant it. I thought I'd just grab a part time job, any old job would do, and continue working my way up a ladder I wasn't even actually supposed to be on but quite liked. Since then, I have not only come to be miserable, as stated above, but I've also realized that no one seems to want to hire a college grad for part time grunt work. I'm viewed as a high risk for turn over so I'm overlooked. This means that I'm rather stuck. I either need to make more an hour, get more hours, or at least not hate waking up in the morning.

I applied for another job a few weeks ago that sounded like it would be part time. I've since gone through a phone interview, an in person interview, and an interview with the COO who then asked for my references noting, "This is a good thing, it's the next step." He knows one of my previous bosses and asked to call him to which I, naturally, said he could as he's already one of my references. He also made it a point to say that my answers to two of his questions were wise and that his "only hesitation" was my current job conflicting with theirs because, oops, they want someone full time. So I told them that I would leave as I prefer full time anyways. He seemed pleased to hear this and even said they could pay better.

I feel guilty and I even feel like I lied to these people. But here is what I'm dealing with - no directions, only emails telling me I did something wrong after the fact; constant additions to a to do list that never shrinks; and an annual salary of ~$10k that will, at this rate, never increase because the metric by which my success is being graded is related to a task that I haven't been given time to work on.

If I'm offered the job, I intend to tell my current boss that I'm leaving in 2 weeks because part time work never panned out and a job that I had thought was part time turned out to be full and I really need it. I'm not sure how she'll react but I have to do it. I suppose I'm posting this mostly because I feel anxious. I've had a rough time for a few months now and as some of you already know, anxiety is an issue with me so it's building as time passes. I'm dealing pretty well but I'm not looking forward to potentially letting these people down but holy hell, this is the worst job I've ever had and that includes working as a cashier for a pharmacy that paid $5.75 an hour and a factory job surrounded by backstabbing, ass kissers. :glare:

If only I'd had a crystal ball when I applied for this job in the first place...




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629984

No comments:

Post a Comment