Pages

Search blog and web

Avoiding joy for the fear of joy?

I don't know where to post this. I guess men with similar thoughts would exist somewhere around here.

I subconsciously avoid positivity, joy, fun, excitement and sometimes sex for fear of 2 things:

1. The inevitable end
2. The predictability

There might be other reasons, but these 2 stand out every time I want to commit myself to an act that is meant to be rewarding.

I realize this is easily diagnosable as a form of depression, but knowing that is just not satisfying enough.

I'm a visual person. Everything gets visualized in my brain and run through multiple times before it actually happens. Of course, I rely on my predicting abilities for this and unfortunately (really unfortunate) I'm quite good at predicting the level of joy, hence totally spoiling future experiences for myself.

Example:

I think of traveling to Barcelona:

Naturally I should be excited and feeling joy. I do for very very short moments, but for the most part, I can easily visualize and perhaps 'feel' being in Barcelona and the level of satisfaction that I'm going to experience. Finally I take the actual flight and arrive in Barcelona. Not only was I totally accurate on my assessment of 'self' in the new setting (Barcelona+activities), I often find myself having been overly forgiving of the possible annoyances in my imagination. At this point, because the original level of joy was already predicted and perhaps 'felt' to a degree before I even set foot in Barcelona, the inevitable annoyances that would normally be ignored gain significance. This ruins things.

This was just an example. I go through this with every little thing. Even eating a sandwich follows the same trend.

Sometimes, the 'aftermath' or the 'ending' of joyful events causes incredible levels of hesitation in me. I fear the ending more than I invite the beginning and duration. It sucks.

Just wanted to get this off my chest and in writing for future reference.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment