Pages

Search blog and web

My wife's work affairs - Reconciliation?

Hi all, I wanted to share my story and get some perspective. My marital problems started around a year and a half ago when my wife of eight years cheated on me with a married man at work who she later described as a friend who was nice to her. I was having massive work problems at the time and was very depressed and probably not fun to be around. He later would be discovered to be a scoundrel who fabricated an alternate personality to woo my wife.

I didn't find out about the affair until 6 months later. We decided to work on the marriage and she began individual counseling and we saw a marriage counselor a few times. We did the full transparency deal. Things seemed like they were going well and I began to have more confidence in our improving marriage. She said she would never do something like that again because of how much it hurt both of us.

Fast forward to last week when she confessed more or less out of the blue that she had just recently (2 days before) slept with another man at work. She said that she had a crush on him and still had a crush on him, again she described him as a friend who was nice to her. There is quite a few bizarre circumstances surrounding this second instance of cheating. The man has millions of dollars and wants to shower them onto my wife which she refuses - she has always been a do it yourself type of person. His wife is trying to befriend my wife since she learned of the affair presumably to try and defend her marriage (the husband told his wife that he was in love with my wife).

We decided to separate with her deciding to move out and stay with friends. We are beginning weekly marriage counseling and she will be in weekly personal counseling. The marriage counselor believes she has boundary and honesty issues stemming from being raped in college and her family that basically never tells the truth about anything.

Our relationship has many elements that I believe are worth saving. Our conversations, interests, and outlook on life are more closely aligned than with any other person I have met. Both men were 20 years her senior and the councilors think she has a need from validation from her father's generation and no real ability to create boundaries from people whose goal is to break through boundaries. She says she wants to save our marriage and make things work but she does not want to hurt me again. We have been seeing each other for an hour or two a day since we separated to talk and just try and stay connected.

I have no doubt that we are very close friends, that she does not want to cause me (additional) pain, and that she does love me, but I worry that she may just want to divorce because it's easier, and also I worry that I am setting myself up for further future heartache by not ending something that is beyond repair.

Thank you for reading. I want to do everything possible to save my marriage and I do love my wife but as of right now things are chaotic.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment