Pages

Search blog and web

Son is drowning emotionally

I need advice on this situation - my 16 year old son is very much like me - introverted, analytical, the one others lean on with their problems. Last month his girlfriend broke up with him and he took it hard (first love and all), at the same time he started his first part time job. He's always been an A/B student and had no difficulties with school work. He was a bit depressed after the break up, but seemed to bounce back with meeting new people at work.

Over the last couple of weeks he has been overly tired, spreading himself too thin between school, work and extra curricular activities. Then he failed semester exams in two of his classes. I had a talk with him and discovered there is alot more going on - apparently 2 of his friends have been showing up with cuts on their arms and he has "talked them down" from "bad places". This set off huge alarm bells in my head. He didn't tell me if these were school friends or people from work, but I think I know who one of them is, I'm not positive though. I told him that he needs to go talk to someone in authority at his school, someone he trusts. He said that these friends did not want professional help, they just wanted someone to talk to. I told him that he can not let the weight of other peoples' problems drag him down, but he is a very compassionate soul who wants to "fix" things for people.

I'm not sure what to do - I was thinking about calling his ROTC commander at school, who he seems to look up to, and talk with him, but since I don't know exactly who these friends are, I'm not sure what to really say. Plus I'm walking a tight line because right now my son is confiding in me with his worries, and I might risk him not confiding things in me later if I "tell" on him.

Any advice? Thank you very much.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment